NAMI Memphis is a grassroots, self-help organization dedicated to improving quality of life for individuals with mental illness, their families and communities. Our mission is accomplished through mutual support, education, and advocacy by:
- Providing family education and support.
- Serving as an information resource and referral center.
- Monitoring existing mental health care facilities and programs for adequacy and accountability.
- Educating mental health professionals about the lived experience of mental illness from the perspective of family members and consumers.
- Promoting legislation based on NAMI's advocacy agenda.
- Educating the public about the extent of mental illness, its impact on families and individuals, and recognizing the contributions consumers make to society.
- Advocating for quality institutional and non-institutional care and recovery oriented individuallzed treatment for people living with mental illness.
- Promoting community support, including appropriate housing linked with social and vocational rehabilitation, and employment programs.
- Promoting research (preventative, alternative treatments, rehabilitation, and cure).
- Connecting with other mental health advocacy organizations and providers.
- Promoting adequate funding for mental health care facilities and services, treatment, residential, and research programs.
- Soliciting and receiving funds in support of all of the above.
The purpose for which NAMI Memphis is organized is charitable within the meaning of section 501(c)3 of the Federal lnternal Revenue Code.